There are tons of diets out there that claim to be the best for cleansing out your colon. However, a lot of them are just plain wacky. Check out the following three colon cleansing diets that you absolutely should not follow.
1. The Fruit & Vegetable Diet
Sure, it might sound like a good idea at first: eat only fruits and veggies and lose some weight while cleaning out your colon. After all, fruits and veggies are fibrous, right? While eating plenty of fruits and veggies is a good thing, unfortunately, this diet is not reliable at ridding your body of all the toxins that may have accumulated over the years.
Also, if your body continually misses out on all the proteins and carbohydrates that it needs, it’s possible you could reach a point of malnutrition. Eating fruits and veggies is important, but having a balanced diet is best for overall health.
2. Liquid Detox Diet
The liquid detoxification diet, also known as the Master Cleanse Diet, involves only ingesting lemon juice, cayenne pepper, water and maple syrup. While this diet will certainly help you to lose weight, it does very little to clean out the colon and will leave you with a completely unbalanced diet, lacking the nutrients you need to reach optimal health. And the worst part? After you finish a liquid detox diet, it’s very likely you will gain back the weight you lost.
3. Cabbage Soup Cleanse
Not only does the title of this diet make me want to gag, but the diet itself is silly. It consists of eating nothing but cabbage soup for seven days in order to lose weight and cleanse your colon. Advocates of the cabbage soup cleanse diet will even admit that the diet itself, may make you feel light-headed, weak, easily-fatigued and unable to concentrate. Of course, this may not always be the case, but why risk it?
With this diet, you are eating one specific food for seven full days, and you’re basically starving yourself by limiting your caloric intake so severely. Any diet that admits to leading to weakness should not be a diet for you to follow.
The Best Colon Cleansing Diet
Now let’s talk about what a colon cleansing diet should really look like. When you’re doing a colon cleanse, it’s important that you maintain a balanced diet with plenty of water throughout your day. Water is especially important if you’re doing an herbal colon cleanse, because constipation is a common side effect.
- Eat organic foods only
- Eat more vegetables than meat, when you do eat meat
- Replace all enriched white flour products, such as white breads and pastas, with whole grains or sprouted grain flour
- Replace refined sugar and alternative sweeteners with raw cane sugar or unprocessed, raw honey
- Eat plenty of high fiber foods throughout the day
- Taking apple cider vinegar on a daily basis will also compliment your colon cleansing diet.
- If you’re going to eat red meat, eat hormone and antibiotic-free, range-fed, organic meats no more than 3x per week
- Check out this list of colon cleansing foods.
For more cleansing tips, check out Dr. Edward F. Group III’s book The Green Body Cleanse.
-Dr. Edward F. Group III, DC, ND, DACBN, DABFM
- 15 Foods That Act Like Natural Laxatives
- 10 Foods You Can Eat During a Colon Cleanse
- 12 High Fiber Foods That Help Cleanse Your Colon
- Are Bananas Good For Constipation?